UKraine Replication, Awareness and INnovation
based on EGNSS
The UKRAINE project was established in January 2015 to capitalize on opportunities for partnerships created by the finalization of the EU-Ukraine Cooperation Agreement in the field of Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNSS). It was created with the aim of strengthening Europe’s position as a major space player with Galileo and EGNOS in the Ukrainian market of GNSS applications, by laying the groundwork for research and development as well as commercial alliances between existing entities. Achieving these objectives will create business opportunities in Ukraine for both national and European companies, as well as generating public benefits for the Ukrainian economy and society.
Key components to the project are preparation of the Ukrainian aviation market to the extension of EGNOS, identification of legislative options to support the uptake of European GNSS, development of solutions for multimodal logistics and dangerous goods transport, and fostering commercial relationships between enterprises in both Ukraine and EU Member States.
Significant Ukrainian stakeholder involvement will be ensured by:
- direct participation of the Ukraine State Space Agency (SSAU), National Aviation University (NAU) and Technical Polytechnic of Kiev (KPI)
- workshops specific to the various work packages
- events held in Kiev and Brussels to create business matchmaking opportunities
- a unique contest launched in April 2015 to develop a multi-constellation receiver for release on the Ukrainian market
The UKRAINE project intends to demonstrate and document best practices that can be replicated in other national GNSS markets with an extensive communication campaign. A final project conference will be held in Brussels to present milestones achieved in the areas of legislative framework, technological advances and procedural innovations.
The primary objective of the UKRAINE project is to create a broad acceptance of EGNSS in Ukraine, leading to increasing adoption of Galileo and EGNOS in this rapidly emerging market. The project aims to foster international cooperation in application development while simultaneously creating physical opportunities for knowledge building and commercial relationships.
The specific action steps comprise:
- preparation of the Ukrainian aviation market as the entry point of the extension of EGNOS – specifically addressing LPV procedures, GNSS signal monitoring and reinforcing systems integrity
- performing a study on amending the Ukrainian legal framework to facilitate compliance with European directives and regulations on EGNSS in transport
- generation of innovative solutions for tracking and tracing in multimodal logistics and transport of dangerous goods
- organizing business matchmaking opportunity events for Ukrainian and EU companies and representatives
- launching a contest for proposals for design and production of a multi-constellation receiver
A secondary objective is to create a roadmap to duplicate success in other markets – such as the Mediterranean and Africa – where EGNSS has relatively low penetration. Fundamental to this is the dissemination and communication campaign incorporated in the project.
This section provides an overview of all 9 partners as well as a link to their own websites.
- VALDANI VICARI & ASSOCIATI SRL
Country: Italy (coordinator)
- NATIONAL AVIATION UNIVERSITY
- TELECONSULT AUSTRIA GMBH
- ADVIES DE WITH GCV
- NACIONALNIY TEHNICHNIY UNIVERSITET UKRAINI KIIVSKIY POLITEHNICHNIY INSTITUT
- OVINTO CVBA
- STATE SPACE AGENCY OF UKRAINE
- VVA EUROPE LIMITED
Country: United Kingdom
- PILDO CONSULTING SL